Sunday 4 December 2011

Every Picture Tells a Story 2 - The Elusive Waterfall…

Many years ago as a young boy, I’d heard of a hidden waterfall, which was one of the highest in the Peak District. My Father knew of its whereabouts, yet cryptically stated, “it’s round abouts”.

A typical Derbyshire way of saying “I’m not telling you".Which to an adventurous young lad was torture and I vowed I would go to the ends of the earth (well within cycling distance at least) to discover their whereabouts.

After many years of mooching around the hills and dales, I was resigned never to find the fabled, secreted falls and pretty much gave up the ghost.

Sure we found plenty of other hidden waterfalls such as Brookside falls at Froggatt, Paddley Gorge falls, and the charming off shoots from Mag Clough.

Then many years later, the day came when a few like-minded photographers met in a kitchen thumbing through a black and white local photobook. Suddenly - there they were! I can’t tell you their name of course, as they are secret, but sure enough in glorious monochrome, the elusive falls had been discovered.

The location was baffling, as I had passed the area many times, yet one would never think to find a waterfall in the trees that hid their secret so well.


The light was a challenge and we all agreed that the day had been a success in parts, yet we could not shoot the waterfall in its entirety due to the contrasting nature of extreme light/shadow (see left). Still, a few frames were usable and I decided I would get my own back on my father.

As he tore the Christmas wrapping paper from the black and white frame to reveal the picture you see before you (above), fathers’ eyes bulged and with a wry smile I simply said, “told you I’d find them”…

No comments:

Post a Comment