Monday 4 October 2010

York Downs & the Promotion of Blackpool FC

The first day of York races - what a day to visit the downs of said town with Mollie dog - we stumbled into an arena on a packed express train, full of wanna be toff's, tarts & toss potts...

...it was just the beginning of an strange old day...


Played out with radio commentary of a west coast seaside resort gaining Premiership status, I had many issues to deal with - mainly as the train glided into York Rail station, the doors opened and Molly slipped her collar & bolted off the train, running away up platform 2 on the fine famous York Station... My bag was still stacked amongst many others on the train which was ready to head off to Newcastle at any moment. I had to choose between the two, very quickly...

No contest...sprinting faster & faster past the shuffling race goers dressed to their nines, down the platform to catch Molly dog, I flung myself at her in the 1st rugby tackle I had performed in many a year... Huffing & puffing with Molly cradled in my arms, I re-boarded the train, swimming against the crowds much to their consternation, still trying to depart the carriage, . After some choice words from a lovely chap, I managed to salvage my bag from the train and sat panting on the dirty platform, that's me, not the dog. After getting my breath back we finally strode into town and off along the river Ouse, my nerves still shot and heart still in mouth. The day got hotter and we sweated in the meadows until we came to sit by the wondrous river Ouse. Blackpool's remarkable promotion to the Premiership had just been sealed as molly swam in the cooling river and I finally felt that I could relax... "Well done all" I concured as we laid on the banks by the flowing waters...

No comments:

Post a Comment