Friday 31 December 2010

Happy Flu Year

It’s the end of 2010, its 10pm and a thoroughly annoying dog has been barking all evening, quite possibly the owners reckon it’s a suitable night for pooch to be entertained by the fireworks.

If that’s not enough there is no football in the blue half of Sheffield tomorrow, the boiler keeps breaking and I’ve contracted Gastro-Flu.

Tis a cheeky little strain and one I wouldn’t wish on anyone. If you’ve had it, you know how it is, in bed, maaad dreams, bad guts, blah, blah, blah. My Freezer is full of Andrex soft quilt and the bathroom now houses a small, stacked library. Its not recommend as a weight loss programme, but it seems to be working.

New Years Eve. The end of one year and time for reflection before the rushing in of the New. A time for celebration surely?

Well the only thing that’s rushing in at the moment is the water in my toilet. I’m not writing this because I’m ill or cynical in anyway (moi?), I’m writing it because I’m passing time, passing memories and passing…

I’m hoping, of course I stay awake long enough to see Midnight and the New Year In and there’s only so many times you can say Happy New Year on Facebook...

I do have to say though; I can count on the fingers of one hand, the times when New Year Eve was a great night. A good night yes, but I seem to remember all the bad ones than remember the great ones. Like the time…

…no I’m not going there, that would be like the Diary of Baby Jane. I do have one observation though about the use of said Facebook.

I listened to an interview with Paul Weller this week who derided the use of the web for its communication uses as social contact tool. Now I love the bloke and I respect him, but it got me thinking, how much have we been able to say hello to people, write blogs & share pictures in the last 5 years or so quickly, widely and globally.

If you are able to go to a party tonight, good on you have a great time, but to those of us who are left on our own, it’s amazing how easy it is to be able to communicate to friends and family to give our wishes of a Happy New Year. Without infecting them of course…

Sure there are the negatives as much as there are positives with social sites, but I won’t go into those as The Daily Mail cornered that market years ago.

New Year to me has never meant much, its just another day, it’s just the Chronological petrol pump of time clicking over by 10 pence. The fact we all have to put 2011 instead of 2010 when we scribe the date, apart from the odd banking/ contractual/global treaty error – who really cares?

I said at the start I wouldn’t get cynical in this blog. Well after se7ern days off the fags that was never going to happen – but unlike the New Year Resolution gang, my 23rd December resolution is now kicking in – enjoy your last ciggies tonight you gym bound hero’s.

I for one wish everyone a Great New Year, get well soon lurgy peeps and I hope that 2011 see’s much mirth & merriment…

(Oh and here is a pic of my good self behind the lens after a year of getting some lovely Shots – Thanks to Chris)

No comments:

Post a Comment